I am no longer updating my own Japan guides so here are some books, zines, bloggers and vloggers I recommend. I have tried to include mainly those written by people who are Japanese or living in Japan.
Providing a wealth of resources and information that is better than any guide book.
- Kaila Ocampo / Rainbowholic – kawaii life and travel in Japan. Posts regularly on Youtube and Instagram but support on Patreon for additional content, travel guides, personal advice and monthly blog posts.
- Makiko Itoh – author and food writer. Her blogs Just Hungry (recipes & food), Just Bento (bento recipes & tips) and Just My Japan (culture & society) are sporadically updated but she is very active on Facebook & Patreon on all these topics, and many more!
General Japan Blogs
Blogs based in Japan that are currently active and updating with new content
- The Japan Times (daily newspaper with great food/culture writers)
- Kyoto Journal (articles on traditional Japan and culture)
- Moshi Moshi Nippon (kawaii & pop culture news including shops, cafes & events)
- RocketNews24 (the latest weird, wacky and cute news + event/cafe/shop visits)
- Time Out Tokyo (news, event listings, shopping, restaurants and more)
- Tokyo Cheapo (cheap and free things to do in Tokyo + tips for living in Japan)
- Tokyo Fashion (street snaps, fashion news and current/future trends)
Japan Trip Planning Resources
Everything you need to know to plan your trip.
- Asking For Trouble (my own personal guides and tips)
- Ask Metafilter Japan tag (lots of helpful threads for trip planning)
- Bento.com (eating and drinking guide to Japan with restaurant search)
- Cakes With Faces (restaurants in Tokyo with vegetarian options)
- Cashmerette – (guide to fabric and yarn shopping in Japan)
- Dr Moku (Learn Hiragana and Katakana)
- Go Tokyo (event & festival listings)
- Japan Attractions (event & festival listings)
- Japan Guide (everything you need for trip planning)
- OROCHINAGI (Gamer Guide to Japan)
- Super Cute Kawaii (kawaii shops, character cafes etc.)
- Surviving in Japan (how to guides for doing just about anything in Japan)
- Tokyo Cheapo Walking Subway Map (see when it’s quicker to walk)
- Tokyo Craft Map (craft & design shops in Tokyo)
Japan Books & Guides
I have not read all of these – please check reviews before purchasing. Sorry for Amazon links but you can get the info and buy elsewhere.
- Cool Japan: A Guide to Tokyo, Kyoto, Tohoku and Japanese Culture Past and Present
- Diary of a Tokyo Teen
- Hello Sandwich Japan: A design-led guide to Japan
- JapanEmoji!: The Characterful Guide to Living Japanese
- The Super Cute Book of Kawaii (my own book)
- Tokyo (Monocle Travel Guides)
- Tokyo Pocket Precincts: : A Pocket Guide to the City’s Best Cultural Hangouts, Shops, Bars and Eateries
- + many more Japan books at Tuttle Publishing
Diary Style Blogs
These are no longer updated but are great reads about life and travel in Japan